Contractor Licensing

Trades Requiring a City License

All building and home improvement contractors are required to obtain a city license. The following trades are included:
  • Carpenter
  • Concrete / Asphalt
  • Drain layer
  • Electrician
  • Excavator
  • Fence
  • General contractor
  • HVAC
  • Siding
  • Signs 

Trades Requiring a City & State License

The following trades are required to obtain a city and State of Illinois license:
  • Plumbing
  • Roofing
A copy of the state license must be submitted to the City of Aledo.


All contractors must submit proof of insurance and a bond to the City of Aledo prior to obtaining a city contractor license.

The requirements for contractor insurance include:
  • Minimum $10,000 license and permit bond, naming City of Aledo
  • Minimum $100,000 / $300,00 liability insurance, naming City of Aledo as certificate holder
  • Workers Compensation Insurance (unless there are no employees)
The City of Aledo does not charge a fee for a contractor license

Property Owner Requirements

A property owner working on his own 1 or 2 family dwelling (used as the owner's domicile) is generally not required to obtain a contractor license or insurance. The City reserves the right to require a license, insurance and bond for major projects.

A landlord is not required to obtain a license or provide insurance for routine maintenance work on existing buildings. The landlord shall be required to obtain a contractor license and provide insurance (or use licensed contractors) for major rehabilitation or other items requiring a permit.

No permit shall be issued until all contractors involved in the project have submitted their insurance, bond and are licensed as required by the City and the State of Illinois.